Tuesday, September 18, 2012

about me

     hello everyone! my name is Sara Foland, I'm 25 years old and I live with my parents in Saginaw, Michigan. my major is in Health Information Technology and I would like to be able to work as a Medical Coder and Biller. I have been in the health information program for 2 years and will be graduating by winter 2013. I am currently double majoring as well with a bachelors degree in Health Information Management, but I'm only allowing myself to take a few classes from that program this term. it has been a confusing ride, but in the end I feel that I will be happy with what I've chosen with my education goals.

    after this fall term, my educational goals will take me to proceeding with my internship along with a practicum. once i have graduated from Davenport University, I would like to get settled into the facility that I would be currently working for, paying off my student loans and then depending on where life experiences take me (such as marriage, buying a house, children), I would like to continue with finishing up my Bachelors degree in Health Information Management so that I can be able to have another degree under my belt that will help me to provide for a family of my own and will allow me to pursue higher goals at the same time such as a management position. I wish that I could be in school for a lifetime because college has been a wonderful journey, and even if it took me a few years to figure out what I truly wanted to do, I've enjoyed exploring different avenues in the meantime.

    technical communication is important in my career because in order to work in a healthcare setting you have to be able to communicate to everyone effectively including nursing staff and the physician. the physician is especially important to communicate with because if they assign a diagnosis to a patient and you needed more information about the diagnosis that he assigned, you couldn't just simply knock on their office door and ask "what's this?". there's a mechanical way in asking the physician what exactly he is diagnosing, and the coder needs to be more specific themselves in how they address a question. the coder has to fill out a query form and the physician has to be able to respond back to the medical coder with the same professionalism that his job requirements entails. wiothout formal communication skills, information being passed would fall to the wayside and patient's medical information would be harder to track down.       

     

No comments:

Post a Comment